EDM is the acronym for Electronic Direct Mail. It is a marketing method in which emails are sent directly to prospects. But what does it mean?
The messages, which can be texts, images, HTML and such, are addressed only to very specific recipient. Let’s dive deeper into the meaning of direct email marketing in order to understand it better.
What is EDM?
You use direct email marketing not only to increase your sells, but also in order to create a more meaningful and personal relationship with customers.
For example, a welcome email you send after a user has subscribed to your newsletter can be considered an EDM. They perform an action and you respond with a specific message addressing them personally.
Even more specific is the use of direct email marketing after a user has bought something from your e-commerce and you suggest similar products.
So what are the goals?
You use a dem campaing in order to:
- establish a relationship with your prospects;
- acquire new customers;
- define your brand identity and increase loyalty;
- track feedbacks from your customers;
- optimize your other email marketing strategies.
EDM is especially good when you are trying to advertise a new or specific product.
How to set a dem campaign
First, you need to use an email marketing automation service. This will make you save time and money and optimize your chances to increase selling.
Then, you have to curate an impeccable mailing list. Your prospects, returning customers and potential ones need to be properly segmented in order to send the right message to the right people.
Moreover, don’t forget to address each one of your users by their name. This is easy to do through automatic personalization.
A direct email marketing campaign is useless without a careful analysis of its results. An email marketer needs to know and master each and every data analysis tool.
Then you can track open rates, click-through rates, conversions and other metrics in order to understand what works and what not. Therefore, you’ll set the next campaign accordingly.
Are there any cons?
Of course there are, but it all depends on how you use EDM. For example, if your mailing list is made of inappropriate people, or it’s not carefully segmented, your efforst will be in vane.
Same goes for a vague, non-customized, unappealing message in text, images and call to actions. Beware of your number one enemy: spam folds. Of course you want to avoid them. So, don’t use caps lock, overly attractive offers, spam-words and forget about colored fonts!
Other tips for your EDM
- Be sure your email messages are always mobile-friendly. Most people open their mailbox from smartphones and tablets.
- Double-check every link, correct the spelling and avoid grammar mistakes at all costs.
- In order to have a curate and carefully segmented mailing list, turn to professional email services and providers.
- Finally, make sure your overall aesthetic is consistent and in tone with your website, brand values and identity.