In a business organization, an email marketing manager is responsible for all the email campaigns. They send and receive emails from customers as well.
This sounds easy and manageable, right? You just got an email that says it’s not the case.
Yes, email marketing is not just about sending and receiving emails. There are many more responsibilities that they have.
They write emails to welcome new customers or to give them a discount offer. There are also seasonal emails, wherein the email marketing manager lets people know about a discount or product launch.
Companies use these emails to sell their products and services online. These emails also help them in establishing a relationship with their customers.
Therefore, they need some skill sets. They should know how to use management systems, tools, and software programs. They should have the ability to do data analytics and marketing research. Any email marketing manager needs good communication skills as well.
This article discusses what skills an individual will need to become an email marketing manager, what their job duties will be, and how they can become one.
In pochi punti:
What Is An EmailAn email (or electronic mail) is a method of exchanging communications through the internet. It is one of the most used features on the web and the number one mean... Marketing Manager?
An email marketing manager manages all the email campaigns of an organization. They use various email management tools and software programs. With the use of these tools, they make creative email copies. Then, they send these emails to their customers.
They send emails to clients and other industry workers as well. In fact, they not only promote their brand, but they also work to inform people. They also listen to consumers’ concerns and clear their doubts. When they write well-informed emails, people engage and communicate better.
Gone are those days when emails followed a simple format. In modern days, emails say a lot with their designs and structure. When they write such emails, it directly affects the click-through rate of the business.
With a higher CTR, the business organization eventually sees an increase in its ROI.
For example, let’s say you’ve written an email about the company’s seasonal sale. If you’ve written a clear and creative email, more people will click on it.
If more people are opening the emails sent by you, it means the company will have a better return on investment. You can expect a return of at least $40 for every $1 you spend on your emails.
There are many types of emails that these marketers have to write each day, including:
- Welcome Emails: to welcome a new customer.
- Customer Stories: to show examples of a brand’s effectiveness.
- Brand Stories: to help people identify and relate with the brand.
- Tip Emails: to provide people with some tutorials or to share information relevant to the product.
The above-mentioned types come under engagement emails. In addition to these, there are event invitations, newsletters, seasonal campaigns, confirmation emails, and more.
To become an email marketing manager, you should have many skill sets. If you think that you only need to know about your work, then you’re wrong. You must know the changes happening in other work areas as well.
Parts of your job would require you to work with graphic designers or copywriters. So, you should have the ability to communicate well with others. It’s important that you express your opinions and listen to their feedback. Plus, you’ll notice that with these collective efforts, you’ll reach more people.
Hence, like many other industry professionals, you have to be a good team player. Your team would work together with other teams. If you make hasty decisions, it’ll impact other people too. Therefore, you need to discuss ideas and make strategies with your team before deciding on anything.
An email marketing manager should understand how to write relevant information in a creative, yet professional manner. It is because emails are written in short form. You should know how to include all the details. Keep the email interactive, funny, and structured.
The work won’t require you to know programming languages. However, you would need some tech skills. Email marketing managers have to use email marketing software and other tools. It’d be beneficial for you to know how to use these tools and programs as well.
An email marketing manager should keep themselves updated on the industry laws and best practices. The marketing world experiences many changes every year. What you used to do 4 months ago, may not give you the same results today. Thus, you should keep track of such changes.
Some other skills that are required are:
- Writing competency
- Marketing skills
- Skills to analyze data
- Understanding of SEO and SEM
- Management skills
- Ability to make cold campaigns
- Adaptive skills
Job Roles and Responsibilities
An email marketing manager is responsible for the end-to-end email marketing strategy of a company. It is their duty to write email copies, design different types of emails, and manage email databases. They are also responsible for communicating with other departments including the sales, marketing, and design departments.
These are the duties that an email marketing manager is responsible for:
- Make sure that all the emails follow industry standards and privacy policies.
- Managing and reporting on the email marketing campaign results.
- Using the campaign results to determine the return on investment.
- Using the best email marketing strategy.
- Improving with better tools and strategies.
- Utilizing the right techniques to reach the target audience.
- Building loyal and friendly relationships with customers through free communication.
- Engaging with the customers to minimize the number of unsubscribes.
- Managing email lists and email databases.
- Managing the operations between the company’s email service provider and the CRM.
- Understanding email systems and data feed analysis.
- Monitoring marketing metrics like how many open through rates and click-through rates you got on the emails.
- Upgrading the email templates using graphics and personalization.
- Writing different types of emails, welcome emails, newsletters, promotional emails and so on.
Email Marketing Manager Salary
The salary range of email marketing managers depends on their education, certifications, their additional skills and their work experience.
The average salary of an email marketing manager in the US is $76,742. In the UK, it is £36,500 per year.
As a beginner, you’ll earn less than professionals. Once you adapt yourself to the changes and start to utilize the best practices, you’ll start to earn more.
How To Become An Email Marketing Manager
To become an email marketing manager, you don’t really require a degree. But many businesses ask for a bachelor’s degree before they hire you. You can do B.Sc. in Internet Marketing or B.Sc. in Digital Marketing. You can also opt for some traditional marketing courses.
It is required that you learn about data analytics, data management, web development, digital marketing research techniques, and email marketing automation.
These are some classes you can take to become an email marketing manager.
- Lead Generation
- Brand Management
- Data-Driven Marketing
- Graphic Designing
- Writing for Digital Media
- Scripting and Programming
- Marketing Communications
- Digital Media Design
- Marketing Strategy
- Market Research
- Communication Technologies
- Digital Media Design
- Digital Media Management
An email marketing manager doesn’t need a master’s degree. Even then, it’ll be beneficial if you have one of them. You can do MS in these courses: Digital Marketing Communication, Digital Business, Digital Communication and Digital and Social Marketing
There are also online platforms where you can get certifications relevant to this field.
- Mailchimp Email Marketing Course: In this course, you’ll get a basic introduction to email marketing and tutorials on Mailchimp features. You’ll also learn about Mailchimp set up, management, best subject lines, and email marketing analysis. Duration – 4.5 Hours and Cost – $49.99
- Email Marketing Certification Course (HubSpot): Through this course, you’ll learn about email marketing, sending the right email, analyzing your marketing skills, and creating high performing emails. Duration – 3 Hours and Cost – Free
- Email Strategy and Optimization Course (LinkedIn Learning): Here you’ll discover the power of email marketing, identify all types of email, and fit email into any marketing plan. Duration – 1 Hour and Cost – $29.99/monthly membership.
If you look at your inbox, you’ll notice that there are many types of emails there. They fall under different categories. Some are related to your work, and some may be threads with your friends.
Apart from these emails, you get some other emails as well. These include welcome emails, confirmation emails, seasonal emails, and so on. It is an email marketing manager who sends such emails.
He or she is responsible for writing different types of emails for a business organization. Their job is to tell the customers about any new updates that take place in that organization.
An email marketing manager has many tasks to do and duties to perform. Apart from sending emails, they’ve to report the results they got from these emails. One of their main objectives is to keep a check on the email key metrics. They should keep a check on the open rate and CTR of the emails.
Therefore, to become an email marketing manager, one can choose to get bachelor’s and master’s degrees in relevant courses. Additionally, you can use online platforms like HubSpot too.