A happy customer equals a happy transaction. Do you prefer buying things from specific stores? Do you like going to a particular restaurant only? If yes, then you know the quality of your products matters. In addition, the kind of experience provided is important too. One product is being sold by thousands of sellers. How are you different? The answer is customer experience. The digital world is no different. Therefore, user experience plays a key role in attracting customers.
Your spouse may request you to go to the same store because the service is excellent. It could either be well maintained or well compartmentalised. How can you have this experience online? This is where user experience (UX) comes in. The comfort with which a user can surf your website makes for that experience.
A business app or website has a lot of effect on the way one way views your brand. User experience is dependent on a user’s perceptions.
The increasing digital usage has led companies to spend more time on how they look online. People prefer online shopping nowadays. With this digital shift, companies must start focusing on improving user experience.
In pochi punti:
What Is User Experience?
User Experience is the feeling a customer gets while interacting with the product. It is the digital journey of a customer from entering your shop till leaving. This includes how easy and swift it was navigating the site/app. It also includes the speed, design and content of your website.
The experience of a person in any human-computer interaction falls under user experience. A product not only satisfies a want but must also add value to a customer. This could be through the product or the process of buying it. This could be your website, its visual design or other designing aspects.
Have you ever wanted to experience drinking at a cafe without going to it? I Miss My Cafe which provides you with this experience. The website has only one single page. It is handy and easy to use. The design of the page is beautiful. It lets you choose your own song. It also allows you to control the ambience of the imaginary cafe. These websites began during the pandemic with people missing the exteriors.
User experience has become very creative and advanced. Every website or mobile application is different in design. It should be able to communicate the brand’s values at a very glance. For instance, the home page of Notion is quick to communicate that it is a productivity app. Thus, user experience is a very critical aspect of any digital business.
How To Measure User Experience
There are specific key performance indicators which help in measuring user experience. You may use the following to measure user experience.
- The average time on task: This indicator shows how much time a user spent on completing a certain task. The lesser the time, the better the UX.
- Task success rate: This determines what percentage of users finished each step in a user flow. For instance, if the customer is setting up his/her account but stops after a certain point. This may signal a problem in your user flow.
- Adoption rate: This is the number of users gained within a certain period
- Retention rate: This is the number of users that are still with your company. You can calculate this by comparing daily users to the new daily users.
- Human error occurrence rate: It helps you track how customers make mistakes doing a task.
- Search vs navigation: Helps you understand what information the user finds most interesting.
- Conversion rate: This indicator measures how many users finished a task. This could be buying a product. It could also be signing up for a newsletter.
- System Usability Score: This is an online questionnaire. It is to understand how the user feels about the usability of that particular software. This is helpful for product designers.
- Customer Satisfaction: This is to understand how the user’s experience has been. You can use surveys as well as customer interviews to measure this.
- Net Promoter Score: This is to understand how often a user will recommend your company. Answers are on a scale ranging from 1 to10 and a customer has to make a choice.
How to Improve User Experience
You may use the following ways to improve the user experience for your customers.
- Decide your call to action: You must ensure that you decide on a call to action first. Always know which action you would like the user to take and optimise it. Don’t confuse your user with several things on a single page.
- Avoid too much data: No user likes entering a lot of data before even using a website. Imagine an endless amount of questions thrown at you before even using an app. You either may start having privacy concerns or you may find it unnecessary.
- Use Surveys: Try using as many customer surveys as possible. This helps in understanding the problems the user is facing. This will help you in making the user experience better.
- Language Optimisation: Not everyone finds it easy to communicate in English. Try to remove this obstacle and make it easier for your user to engage with your site.
- Feedback: Push for immediate feedback and work on it. We may not realise it but some customers provide very valuable feedback. This may help in making your system even more effective.
- Don’t be repetitive: Answering the same information, again and again, isn’t pleasant. It only leaves the user annoyed and not wishing to continue further.
- Fit for every device: Ensure that the visual design of your website is seamless on all devices. A customer may use a laptop or even a tablet to buy a product. If your website is only made for a smartphone, the user experience may not be satisfactory. For instance, the fashion brand Urbanic, their user interface on laptops is very much like that of a phone.
Tips and Best Practices
To make the user experience even better, you may keep the following tips in mind:
- Easy Sign-in: Using one email address to sign in to an account makes the experience easy. Eliminating the need to enter a password every time you open the site. The website should allow the customer to use the website by using a single email address.
- Right white space balance: There is always a need to cram in a lot of information together. Do not do so. White spaces help in providing a visual balance. They also help in maintaining user attention. This is because it highlights the more important sections.
- Use a fancy A CTA is a phrase or word designed to get an immediate response from the reader. As the name suggests, it's usually something that involves a precise action performed by...: Avoid going for boring call-to-action buttons that are available on every site. Try being different. Work with colours that may attract users to click on them. Use fancier words to make it more creative.
- Use Pointers: When providing important information to users. Ensure using a visible font along with points. Avoid writing paragraphs because users tend to ignore reading too much. The same information when written in separate lines looks lesser.
- Consistency: You must ensure that your website as a whole has the same aesthetic. Having a different look for every page leaves a customer confused. A customer might not be able to recognise your brand at all. Each page must either have similar design elements or a colour palette.
- Images and Illustrations: Visuals are very engaging. Many users like watching more instead of reading. Therefore, using illustrations and images may help improve the user experience.
All in all, technology is improving daily to make life easier. User experience is also evolving to make things easier for customers. Ensuring an easy experience for consumers should be the primary goal of any company. These systems must be optimised to serve the human interest in the best way possible. User experience is user-centric.
Companies must ensure analysing and measuring this experience. Although subjective, their goal indications help in improvement. There is so much information that you can collect and use in the right way. In feedback, If 30 out of 50 customers tell you that your website is slow. Only then will you know and work on its speed. If 20 of them are finding your signup process confusing, you may want to work on that.
UX designers have to keep a lot of things in mind before designing such websites and apps. Some designers work on programming, While some may work on visual design. These designers also need to keep in mind user psychology before working on the design. To provide the best experience, your information must be useful, accessible and credible. Thus, always keep working on improving and increasing this experience for your customers. Do you want some more tips? Trust us